The Racism Untaught Toolkit consists of a framework that uses the design research process—context, define, prototype, ideate, and impact) to identify racialized design (design that perpetuates elements of racism) and critically assess antiracist design approaches in educational and organizational settings. Developed by Lisa E. Mercer and Terresa Moses, this toolkit is for educators, students, and organizations interested in uncovering design that perpetuates elements of racism and are willing to create artifacts, systems, and/or experiences that promote approaches toward collective liberation.
Racism Untaught was originally developed due to an identified gap in anti-racist and anti-oppressive curriculum approaches in design and to create an opportunity for educators to foster conversations and learning environments focused on diversity, inclusion, and equity to ensure new ideas, critical thinking, and diverse forms of making. Since its original development, the toolkit has expanded to be used in academic, industry, and community settings looking to identify and reimagine forms of racialized design. We believe everyone is a designer, and everyone has the opportunity to affect positive change through the development and use of artifacts, systems, and experiences.
What’s Included in the Toolkit?
- Guide book; instructional manual for the toolkit
- Twelve(12) quantity, dry erase workboards
- Five(5) sets of cards for each step of the framework; Context, Define, Ideate, Prototype, & Impact
- Thirty(30) prompt cards; ten(10) racialized artifacts, ten(10) racialized systems, ten(10) racialized experiences
- Five(5) dry erase markers; blue, red, black, green, and purple
- Four hundred and fifty(450) sticky notes; 90 for each step of the toolkit
- One(1) dry erase marker erase
Final packaging will differ from photos pictured.
Purchase the companion book, Racism Untaught.
If you are tax exempt, please create an account and email shop (at) blackbirdrevolt.com with your tax exempt form and we will adjust your account to reflect your tax exempt status.